YaY - Step by Step

An ICS Emulator for YAHOO Chess

YaY - Step by Step

Postby Waldemar » 31 Jan 2008 14:01

When I entered in this site, I would like to know how to use yay and the most important how to edit the yay.pl with no "welcome message" and "no spamming". Well after some days I found it :lol:

1º step - Install ActivePerl http://www.activestate.com/store/downlo ... d58c2648ca (click in MSI)

2º step - Install the complete YaY file http://members.cox.net/zozur/Gavachos.s ... ditiOn.rar

3º step - Right click in the YaY.pl and choose to open it using perl5.10.0.exe always, you find it in the directory: C:\Perl\bin, in this way the icone will change

4º step - Open YaY.pl, not YaY.exe anymore

5º step - The window opens and then closes up you can do nothing. Yes I know, that happens to me :wink: You are in the way! But Why this happens? Well, because your ActivePerl is incomplete

6º step - Open the prompt MS-DOS and type cd c:\perl after that it must look like this (c:\Perl>), type ppm, it will install a packet right?

7º step - Not over yet. Now type cd:\perl\bin, it must look like this (c:\perl\bin>) and type ppm install tk

8º step - Close the window and go to YaY folder, open the YaY.pl not YaY.exe ok?

9º step - You finished

10º step - To edit the YaY.pl right click in it and open using notepad, just this time, after you make your changes save it and double click! I hope that's it :ok
4ut0 ch355 m3mb3r WALDEMAR...g00d g4m3 f0r 4ll...y4h000000! :ok
Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Re: YaY - Step by Step

Postby matematiko » 01 Feb 2008 14:13

This is the first time I heard you have to install tk for YaY to work, and last week someone was complaining about and error in which perl was complaining about tk missing.

This makes me think that ActiveState's latest release of ActivePerl has not the tk module included.

There is three solutions to this problem:

a) Install the tk module as per xsupremex instructions (below).

or

b) Install and older version of ActivePerl (5.8 will do).

or

c) Forget about installing ActivePerl and use YaY.exe instead( the exe version has everything it needs to work built in, that's why is so big).

Cheers,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.
matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Postby linasinblues » 01 Feb 2008 15:46

i have the yay new version without the perl. whats the difference between this and that witht the perl? is there a difference in performance?, loading engines? loading books? plus this yay with the perl is hard to set up. hard to setup when it comes to the part where you have to go to the ms dos and deal with the perl/bin. :smile20 :smile20 :smile20
linasinblues
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Waldemar » 01 Feb 2008 16:04

Actually you don't need to install the perl... Only if you want to edit yay.pl. You can continue to do what you are doing! :wink:
Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Postby linasinblues » 01 Feb 2008 19:38

now i understand. you have to have perl, so that you can edit the yay.pl. i've been wanting to edit the yay.pl, like the welcome note when a player goes to your table, and i couldn't edit it. thx for the tip. so if were to install the yay 0.0.4 version, i can without the perl?
linasinblues
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby linasinblues » 01 Feb 2008 22:07

when i typed ppm on the command prompt, this is what i got:

::ttk::paned deprecated--use::ttk::panedwindow instead

and the window with PPM. now, where do you type step 7?
linasinblues
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby matematiko » 01 Feb 2008 22:26

linasinblues wrote:i have the yay new version without the perl. whats the difference between this and that witht the perl? is there a difference in performance?, loading engines? loading books? plus this yay with the perl is hard to set up. hard to setup when it comes to the part where you have to go to the ms dos and deal with the perl/bin. :smile20 :smile20 :smile20

Wait wait wait a second.......YaY is just the middle man between Yahoo and Winboard. YaY has nothing to do with engines or books......and I dont think YaY.exe uses more neither less resources than ActivePerl and YaY.pl combined.

The only bad thing about YaY.exe is that you can not edit it. Other than that is a better option than YaY.pl because it saves you from the headaches of installing ActivePerl.

Cheers,
Using engines to cheat:
- It is not ethical,
- It is useless, nothing is gained (how can one be proud of a score earn with dishonesty?)
- You will be baned, sooner or later,
- It gives us (the true chess engine players) a bad reputation.
matematiko
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Postby Waldemar » 01 Feb 2008 22:28

I think you already have tk... go to next step
Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Postby dene » 02 Feb 2008 04:00

matematiko wrote:I dont think YaY.exe uses more neither less resources than ActivePerl and YaY.pl combined.

The only bad thing about YaY.exe is that you can not edit it. Other than that is a better option than YaY.pl because it saves you from the headaches of installing ActivePerl.

This is true, unless you really feel the need to edit the script in yay (welcome note etc) there is no need to use anything other than YaY.exe, as this is much easier for someone new to YtoICS to setup.
dene
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Postby linasinblues » 02 Feb 2008 15:59

i went all through the process of the setup but when i open up the shortcut for ytoics, it just open for a split sec and close again. i did the setup for the perl in the dos prompt. i did the right clik for the ytoics.pl in the folder and open using the perl that was downloaded and icon was changed, and placed a shortcut in the desktop. so, i don't know what seems to be the problem. excuse me moderators, i am here to learn your programs. i am the kind of guy who doesn't quit until i get what i started. thank you.
linasinblues
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby dene » 02 Feb 2008 19:03

linasinblues wrote:i went all through the process of the setup but when i open up the shortcut for ytoics, it just open for a split sec and close again. i did the setup for the perl in the dos prompt. i did the right clik for the ytoics.pl in the folder and open using the perl that was downloaded and icon was changed, and placed a shortcut in the desktop. so, i don't know what seems to be the problem. excuse me moderators, i am here to learn your programs. i am the kind of guy who doesn't quit until i get what i started. thank you.

Are you using Windows Vista?

...If you are you will need to disable UAC (user account control) first.

Instructions for this are here in the YaY section of this forum under thread title 'Windows Vista'
dene
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Postby linasinblues » 02 Feb 2008 21:38

thanks dene. i got it figured out now. it works perfectly fine now. version 0.0.5 :ok :ok :ok
linasinblues
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Happy_Day_Scenario » 27 Feb 2008 05:23

xsupremex wrote:When I entered in this site, I would like to know how to use yay and the most important how to edit the yay.pl with no "welcome message" and "no spamming". Well after some days I found it :lol:

1º step - Install ActivePerl http://www.activestate.com/store/downlo ... d58c2648ca (click in MSI)

2º step - Install the complete YaY file http://members.cox.net/zozur/Gavachos.s ... ditiOn.rar

3º step - Right click in the YaY.pl and choose to open it using perl5.10.0.exe always, you find it in the directory: C:\Perl\bin, in this way the icone will change

4º step - Open YaY.pl, not YaY.exe anymore

5º step - The window opens and then closes up you can do nothing. Yes I know, that happens to me :wink: You are in the way! But Why this happens? Well, because your ActivePerl is incomplete

6º step - Open the prompt MS-DOS and type cd c:\perl after that it must look like this (c:\Perl>), type ppm, it will install a packet right?

7º step - Not over yet. Now type cd:\perl\bin, it must look like this (c:\perl\bin>) and type ppm install tk

8º step - Close the window and go to YaY folder, open the YaY.pl not YaY.exe ok?

9º step - You finished

10º step - To edit the YaY.pl right click in it and open using notepad, just this time, after you make your changes save it and double click! I hope that's it :ok

I think you moved from brazil to america darling ??//
Happy_Day_Scenario

Postby Waldemar » 28 Feb 2008 02:04

Thank you, Happy_Day_Scenario! Be welcome here in the forum! :ok
I hope someday play u :D

Waldemar
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Return to YaY